I *love* this dip! I love all dips - I make hummus, other chickpea/bean dips, and vegetable dips every week. Blending things together in a dip makes the flavours meld together into savoury heaven for the taste buds that just gets more heavenly in a few hours! And, you can get creative with seasonal produce to make a huge variety of dips that are tasty, healthy, and nourishing.
I like having dips with pita or other breads, roasted or raw vegetables, or sometimes just on their own by the spoonful! This dip freezes really well, in case you make extra or have leftovers (which you won't).
Skinny Dipping: No-Oil Sprouted Lentil Dip
Makes: 1-1/2 cups
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 cups sprouted lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large clove garlic
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. garam masala (or any Indian curry powder)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper or paprika for garnish (optional)
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add the sprouted lentils, bay leaf, and garlic. If needed, add the 1/4 cup water to keep the lentils from burning and sticking to the pan. When the lentils are cooked (soft but not mushy), remove the pan from heat and cool to room temperature. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Blend in a blender (or process in a food processor) the lentils, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, garam masala, crushed red pepper, and salt. If needed add water, 1 tbsp. at a time, to help blend the lentils to your desired consistency. If the lentils stick to the sides of the blender jar or food processor bowl, scrape them off the sides and continue blending.
- Serve at room temperature garnished with a dusting of cayenne pepper or paprika.