This spicy, sweet, tangy hot sauce is so addictive you'll find yourself having it with everything! And the colour is so pretty too.
I first had this hot sauce at the incredible Cochon in New Orleans a few weeks ago. And since then I was a bit obsessed. It was so utterly delicious with enough spice, sweetness, and tang to want it over and over, that I had my muffaletta practically doused in it. As a parting gesture, I photographed the ingredients on the label (they sell bottles at the restaurant and also have the same bottles at each table).
Well I came home and couldn't get it out of my mind, so I looked at the photo with the ingredients and created a version of it. I must say this is pretty darn close to the Cochon version, with a bit more spice and a slightly thicker texture so that I can use it as a dip and a spread. And now I always have some in the fridge!
Habanero-Sweet Potato Hot Sauce
makes: 16 oz./2 cups
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and unpeeled
- 4 habanero peppers, cut into large pieces (remove the seeds from two if you want to tone the spice down a bit)
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
- 1-1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and bake for 40 - 50 min. until a knife slides easily into the sweet potatoes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a small pan, bring the distilled vinegar to a simmer. Add the garlic, onion, and habanero and simmer until the onion is mostly softened, 5 - 7 min. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Put the peeled sweet potatoes, vinegar mixture, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt (if using) in a blender jar and blend until smooth. You may need to thin with apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp. at a time, to help blend well.
- Taste and adjust sugar if needed. Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge for a few weeks.
- Enjoy with eggs, tamales, sandwiches, burgers, empanadas, steak, chicken, pizza... whatever you please!