This gluten-free one-pot meal is bursting with flavour and vegetables! It's a frequent work lunch for me, and it freezes really well if you want to do that so you can have a grab-and-go meal ready anytime. I used spring vegetables I had in the fridge, but you can use any seasonal produce - can't go wrong. Adjust spice levels to taste, and even top with sliced fresh chiles if you want!
Red Rice and Vegetable Thai Curry Stew
makes: 6 servings
- 3 cups cooked red rice (or black, brown or any other unpolished rice)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 green chiles, chopped
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 4-5 cups chopped greens (chard, spinach, kale, collards, beet/radish/mustard greens, etc)
- 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 capsicum, cut into chunks
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp. cold pressed coconut oil (or ghee, safflower/sunflower/peanut oil - not olive)
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp. Thai palm sugar (or Demerara sugar)
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. crushed red chile
- a handful of mint and cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 limes, halved
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the red curry paste over medium-low heat. If it starts to stick, add a bit of stock and stir to mix. When it's fragrant add the onions, garlic, ginger, and chiles and sauté till the onions are soft.
- Add the vegetables except the greens and stir. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally so the vegetables don't stick to the pan. Add the greens and mix. Cook for 2 minutes until the greens are just wilted. Mix in the cooked rice.
- Add 1/2 of the stock and mix to combine. Cook everything until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the sugar, salt, crushed chile and mix. After the sugar dissolves, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Remove the stew from the heat and squeeze in the lime.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with the cilantro and mint. Pass around extra lime wedges.