Wednesday, March 19, 2014

CRÈME FRAÎCHE AND ONION DIP


This dip is so delicious that I cannot stop eating it. With everything. Roasted vegetables are way better than a spoon or fork to deliver food to your mouth anyway, so with those, or with chips, flatbreads, crackers, in a sandwich, over salmon, with boiled new potatoes, over poached eggs... the list is long!



And, it's fresh, herb-y, and takes no time to put together. It's based on a fantastic recipe my friend Kara sent me, but I made some changes based on what I had at home. I used crème fraîche, red onion, lemon, white pepper, less sugar, and added garlic.



Crème Fraîche and Onion Dip
Makes: 1-1/2 cups

- 1 cup crème fraîche, preferably home-made
- 2-1/2 tbsp. dill, finely minced
- 2 tbsp. red onion, finely diced
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed to a paste
- 1-1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp. sugar

  1. Put the crème fraîche in a medium bowl.
  2. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and stir well to mix.
  3. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or serve immediately.
Notes:
  1. Although you can serve it right away, the dip will taste better after a few hours or the next day.
  2. The dip will thicken in the fridge but that's ok. Just stir and serve when you're ready.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! This looks really good! I just planted a bunch of dill in my garden, so hopefully in a month or two I can make this dip!

    ReplyDelete