Roasted vegetables are delicious, quick, cook on their own, and are my favourite! And *these* roasted vegetables are my all-time favourite. With the chickpeas, olives, and raisins added to the vegetables laced with smoky spicy harissa, this is just an incredible meld of flavours in a bite. And, just like a meal should be, it's filling yet light, and doesn't leave you feeling sluggish.
Use any kind of green olives, and any vegetables that roast well - carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, any kind of summer or winter squash, and any others that come to mind. I love these with salad greens and maybe a little avocado added into it all if I'm really hungry, but to make it an even more hearty meal, serve this with rice or bread and a salad on the side.
Harissa-Roasted Vegetables with Chickpeas
makes: 4 - 6 servings
- 2 tbsp harissa (home-made or bought)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups green cauliflower florets (broccoflower, but any coloured cauliflower is fine)
- 2 purple potatoes, cut into large chunks (I used purples, but any potato variety is fine)
- 1 yellow squash or zucchini, halved and cut into thick slices (or any winter squash, cubed)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup sliced capsicum (of any colour)
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup raisins (preferably soaked in warm water for 10-15 minutes to soften)
- 2 tbsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C). Lightly grease a large gratin/lasagna pan.
- In a large stove-proof pan mix the lemon juice, harissa, oil, and salt. Add the vegetables and chickpeas, and toss or mix well to coat the vegetables. Transfer everything to the greased pan and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, mixing the vegetables once during baking. Turn the heat down to 375 F (190 C) for the last 10 minutes if needed.
- In the same stove-proof pan you used to toss the vegetables, sauté the onions and capsicum, adding the 2 tbsp. water if needed (the little bit of the harissa mixture remaining in the pan is plenty for sautéing. No need for additional oil.). Mix in the olives and raisins in the last few minutes before turning off the heat.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and mix in the sautéed vegetables.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature, over salad greens, or with bread or rice.