Wednesday, August 6, 2014

VEGAN OVERNIGHT OATS


Overnight oats - one of my favourite breakfasts! It's sattvic, light but really filling, quick, make-ahead, and if you put these in a jar with a lid, spill-free and portable. I also make these in my hotel room when I'm travelling, to have an energising breakfast before the activity of a construction site.

I seldom eat dairy products, but if you do, you can make these with milk if you want. Milk's not really necessary though... overnight the oats the mixture gets creamy and smooth just with water. I also don't use any processed milk like almond or soy. If you make homemade nut milk, by all means use that, it's delicious!

Also, since I don't use any dairy in these, I just leave them on the table. I find the chill of refrigerated breakfast too much of a shock early in the morning, even in the summer. But if you're using milk, do refrigerate!

Use any fruits and nuts you fancy. Bananas, berries, stone fruit like cherries and peaches, kiwi, mangoes, pineapple, passion fruit... they're all amazing with these oats.

Vegan Overnight Oats
makes: 1 serving

- 1/4 cup rolled oats (regular, not instant!)
- 1 tbsp. shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup champagne grapes (or halved regular grapes or any other cut fruit)
- 2 tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds, coarsely chopped (or any other nuts)
  1. In a bowl, mix the oats, water, and coconut if using. Stir well and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Stir again, and if the oats seem dry, add a bit more water till you have a creamy mixture.
  2. In a jar or glass, layer the oats, pumpkin seeds, grapes, repeat. End up with a top layer of grapes.
  3. Leave overnight and enjoy a delicious start to your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment