Spiced Maple Roasted Pecans
makes: 4 cups
- 4 cups raw pecan halves
- 1/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp powdered nutmeg
- 1 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered all spice
- 1 tsp powdered cloves
- 1 tsp powdered cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Put the pecans in a single layer on two baking trays and roast for 10 minutes or until they are slightly darker and fragrant. Remove from the oven.
- In a wok (or a wide pan), mix together the powdered spices, salt, and maple syrup and cook on medium-low until the mixture bubbles and smells fragrant.
- Add the roasted pecans and water and fold everything together until the pecans are completely coated with the maple-spice mixture. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the pecans to two parchment or wax paper lined trays. Spread them out into a single layer and leave them alone for at least 30 minutes (the pecans can be served immediately but they'll be a bit sticky. I usually leave them out on a table to dry out for 24 hours).
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate or leave at room temperature.