I *love* stews and soups. This is one of my all-time favourite stews and I don't know why I haven't shared it here! It's so delicious and versatile. I typically make this vegan version unless meat-eater friends are coming over then I make it with lamb, chicken, venison, elk, etc. I've never made it with fish but I think it would be superb!
Use any vegetables you've got or want to use. Swap the sweet potatoes with a winter squash like butternut, kabocha or acorn. Swap the meat for tempeh or add in sliced boiled eggs just before serving. The variations are endless! For the brave of tongue, add in a chopped habanero while sautéing the vegetables.
MAFÉ: SENEGALESE GROUNDNUT STEW (VEGAN)
makes: 6-8 servings
- kernels from 1 ear of corn (or approx. 3/4 cup corn kernels)
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 med. potato, chunked
- 3 carrots, chunked
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup young shiitake mushrooms (or 1 cup any mushrooms)
- 2 cups diced capsicum
- 3 cups chopped kale (or any greens)
- 2 cups chopped or lightly crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 leeks, sliced (omit if not available)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme (or 1 bay leaf, or 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (or any oil of choice, not olive oil)
- 4-5 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1-2 tbsp. salt, adjust to taste
- 2 tsp. red chile powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- garnishes (as many as you wish): sliced boiled eggs, chopped peanuts, fried onions, parsley, cilantro, sliced chiles, flaked coconut
- On medium-low, heat the oil in a heavy bottomed large pan. Add the onions, leeks, garlic, and ginger and sauté until translucent.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes and kale and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Turn the heat up to high, add the water (or broth) and the thyme (or bay leaf). Once everything starts to bubble, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the tomatoes, peanut butter, chile powder, and salt. Let everything cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt and spice to taste.
- Turn the heat off, stir in the lemon juice, and let the stew rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or bread and garnishes of choice.