I travel a fair bit for work, and when I travel, I try to keep to my usual eating habits. Especially in places that I know will have excellent fresh vegan/vegetarian food. A few months ago I was in a small town in southern CA and I looked around for lunch spots. I found a cafe near my site which served only vegan food - I *had* to go! And I was hooked!! I ate there every single day of my trip, and I ate their version of this salad. It's *that* good! And so filling.
And the mango vinaigrette - let's just say I now have this dressing in the fridge *all* the time in case I suddenly crave it! You can really put any vegetables you wish on this salad... if you don't have jicama, use radishes. Toss on some roasted vegetables: cauliflower, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, a whole jalapeño, etc. Add a bit of roasted chicken or a filet of salmon to make it heartier.
Garnish with parsley instead of cilantro, or coarsely chopped almonds instead of pumpkin seeds. So many ways to make this your own...
makes: 2 servings
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 avocado, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp. lime or lemon juice
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (or rice, millet, or lentils), cooled
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. currants or raisins
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 cup Mango Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- In a bowl, combine tomato, cucumber, and red onion. Toss with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Divide salad greens into two salad bowls or plates.
- Top each with 1 cup of cooked quinoa/millet/rice. Arrange the tomato mixture, jicama, and an avocado half on the greens. Drizzle with 2-3 tbsp. of the vinaigrette. Garnish with the sliced jalapeño, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, currants/raisins, and cayenne pepper.
- Serve additional dressing on the side.
makes: approximately 1 cup
- 1 cup chopped fresh (or frozen) mango
- 1/2 cups safflower oil
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar (use lime juice if you don't have rice vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 in. piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.