Gorgeous mushrooms that make a terrific topping for crostini, or a side dish. Shown here are yellow and brown tree oysters, maitake (hen of the woods), shiitake, and other assorted mushrooms.
makes: 3-4 servings (as a side)
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, wiped clean of any soil - do not wash mushrooms unless you like soggy 'shrooms!
- 5-6 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 tbsp. fresh parsley or cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup small flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used toasted peppercorns)
- A splash of sherry, white wine, or vermouth while sauteeing
- or -
- A squeeze of lemon at the end
1. Heat olive oil - make sure it doesn't smoke.
2. Put the chopped garlic and sautee till the garlic starts turning light brown. The idea is to let the oil absorb the garlic flavour, rather than frying the garlic to a crisp.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan and sautee till the mushrooms start to wilt.
4. Add the sherry, white wine, or vermouth if using.
5. Continue to sautee the mushrooms until fully cooked.
6. Add the chopped parsley before serving warm or at room temperature.