I love polenta in any form - it's so versatile, light, and quick to cook. Perfect for when you want to cook something awesome and fast. I used roasted carrots but really any roasted vegetables are fantastic on this tart... yellow squash, zucchini, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, even winter squash like butternut or acorn.
Serve this tart with a salad and a glass of wine and you've got yourself a superb meal in no time!
Roasted Carrot + Sun-Dried Tomato Polenta Tart
makes: 2 servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/8 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced parsley (or basil)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F/230 C. Grease a baking tray and an 8 in. pie plate (or other medium sized ovenproof pan).
- In a bowl, toss the carrots with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Transfer to the baking tray and bake for 15 - 20 min. or until the carrots are just browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and cool. Turn the oven down to 375 F/190 C.
- While the carrots are roasting, bring the water to a rolling boil in a pan.
- Lower the heat to medium and add 1 tsp. salt, fennel seeds, garlic, polenta, 1 tbsp. olive oil, feta cheese, and tomatoes. Stir quickly to mix everything well.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 5-7 min., stirring frequently to keep the polenta from sticking to the pan. Turn off the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Transfer the polenta to the greased pie plate and use the back of a spoon to spread it into an even layer. Arrange the carrots on the polenta and gently press into the surface. Bake for 15 - 20 min.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately or at room temperature.