Roasting brings out the nutty flavour in cashews, but raw cashew nuts are mild and take flavours so well that they create the most creamy and delicious dairy-substitutes I've had! Whether it's cultured cashew cheese, cinnamon and nutmeg laced cream to top your fruits, or this delicious and smoky chipotle sauce that goes with oven-baked "fries", stirred into soups, and with Mexican food like tacos.
Chipotle Cashew Cream Sauce
makes: 16 oz.
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces (~3/4 cup raw whole cashews)
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- Soak the cashews for 30 min. - 8 hrs. in enough water to fully submerge them.
- Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender jar in the order they are listed above.
- Blend into a creamy sauce, adding more water if needed to get a sauc-y consistency.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.