This is an easy and fantastic salad that can be a first course, appetizer, or a side for two people, or a main meal for one. I often have this over whatever greens I have at hand. Or sometimes with crostini. Or with more beets! Just joking.
To roast beets: wash the beets and put them in a preheated 400 F oven for 30 - 40 minutes. The beets are done when you can easily slide a knife into them. Allow to cool and slide the skins off. Trim, slice and serve. Or refrigerate whole for up to two days.
Roasted Beet Salad, Garam Masala Vinaigrette
makes: 2 servings
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garam masala (or any curry powder)
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 tbsp. raisins
- 3 medium beets, roasted, peeled, and sliced (see above)
- 2-3 tbsp. feta (or any soft goat cheese) (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts (or 1 tbsp. toasted pine nuts) (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil with garam masala over medium-low heat until just heated through. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender jar along with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, raisins, vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend till smooth.
- Arrange beet slices in a plate and drizzle the dressing over them. Top with feta and serve at room temperature.