Monday, July 13, 2020

A RIFF ON ROBERTA'S PIZZA DOUGH + A SAUCE



I've been making pizza from scratch for a number of years and I've never found a dough recipe that wowed me. But I recently I came across Roberta's Pizza Dough recipe on the New York Times website and decided to give it a go based on the comments. I agree with everyone who raved about it, I love it too, and I suspect this is my new go-to dough recipe. However, I did a few things differently than the NYT recipe and loved the results so decided to write it up here in case I forget what I did. I hope you try it!

The sauce is a classic pizza sauce of crushed, reduced tomatoes and a bit of garlic. It's the way I've made sauce ever since I'd casually dabbled in cooking as a teenager, so I really couldn't tell you where I found the recipe - probably one of my mum's Italian cookbooks. But I can tell you that it is perfect in its simplicity and really lets the tomatoes come through.

Notes:
  • If you haven't got 00 flour, use all-purpose
  • You can use the dough after a 4 hour rise but it will be lighter and more flavourful with the longer rise. I highly recommend it!
  • I let the dough rise in the stand mixer bowl but if you don't have room in the fridge, transfer to another bowl
  • I use a stand mixer now but I've mixed plenty of doughs by hand, it's just fine
  • Use a good quality low-moisture whole milk mozzarella (Trader Joe's has one)
  • Don't overload the pizza with toppings

A RIFF ON ROBERTA'S PIZZA DOUGH + A SAUCE
makes: 2 12 in. pizzas, plenty of sauce

DOUGH
- 2 g (3/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 200 g (~3/4 cup + 1 tbsp) warm water
- 155 g (~1 cup) 00 flour
- 155 g (~1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 8 g (1 tsp) salt
- 4 g (1 tsp) olive oil
- 200 g (~4 oz) sliced whole milk low-moisture mozzarella
- pepperoni/salami/prosciutto/other light toppings (optional) 
- fresh basil for final garnish (optional)

SAUCE
- 28 oz. tin whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano or other good quality ones)
- 2-3 cloves peeled garlic

METHOD
  1. SAUCE: blend the garlic and whole peeled tomatoes + whatever liquid is in the tin. Cook in a slow cooker on High for 3-4 hrs, or on stovetop at medium heat for 1 hr. Use right away or store in the fridge for up to 3 days, then freeze if not using.
  2. DOUGH: Proof the yeast in warm water (barely warm, not hot or the yeast cells will die): add the yeast to the water and give it a quick stir, let it sit for a few minutes while you prep the flour mix.
  3. Mix the flours and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or any large bowl if making by hand). Add the proofed yeast mixture and oil to the flour, mix at lowest speed.
  4. Knead for 3 min. at medium speed, let it rest for 15 min., knead for 3-4 min. to form a smooth dough. Remove the dough ball and give it a light coating of olive oil. Put it in a bowl that fits in your fridge, cover with a towel, let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for 2 hrs. After 2 hours outside, put the dough in the fridge and let it rise for 8 - 24 hrs.
  5. Remove the dough from the fridge 1-2 hrs before you want to make the pizza. At the same time, put your pizza stone or cast iron pan into the oven and preheat the oven to the highest heat.
  6. After the oven has stayed at the highest temperature for 1-2 hrs, make the pizza: Divide the dough into two equal-ish parts. Shape each into a pizza, top with sauce (see recipe below), cheese, and toppings. Put the pizzas in the oven, together or one by one, set the timer for 6 min.
  7. After 6 min. broil on high for 1-2 min. Remove and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment