When I learned you are what you eat, I realised I'm nuts!
Dry-roasted Chipotle Lime Cashews
makes: 2 cups
- 2 cups raw cashews (or almonds or skinless peanuts)
- 3 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. water
- 1-2 tbsp. chile powder
- juice of 1 lemon
1. Put the cashews in a bowl and add 2 tsp. water and 1-1/2 tsp. salt.2. Mix well and let the mixture marinate for 30 to 60 minutes, mixing every 15 minutes or so so that water doesn't pool in the bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 285 F/140 C.
4. Add the remaining 1-1/2 tsp. salt, chile powder, and lemon juice to the cashews.
5. Mix well and put into a baking tray large enough to hold the cashews in a single layer.
6. Roast for 15 minutes, stir, then roast for another 7-10 minutes.
7. Let the cashews cool completely before trying. Straight out of the oven they will not be crunchy and will taste moist/steamy. Don't put them back in the oven!
8. Refrigerate if not using right away.
1. Salt to taste. The first time I made these I used 2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt (it's what I normally use for everything) and they were not salted enough. Regular iodized salt is finer and may make the nuts over-salted so start with less salt.
2. Use one or more type of chile powders, adjust quantity to taste. I've use all chipotle, and a mix of chipotle, ancho, and cayenne.
3. Smaller nuts cook faster so keep an eye on them after the initial 15 minutes. They can go from done to overdone in minutes!