makes: approx. 2 cups roasted tomatoes
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary (or 1-2 tbsp. dried)
- zest of 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (optional, I usually don't add garlic)
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C.
2. Put the tomatoes in a metal/glass/ceramic baking tray.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, rosemary, lemon zest, black pepper (and garlic, if using).
4. Toss to mix well.
5. Roast at 400 F/205 C for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are wrinkled and there's tomato juice/liquid in the tray.
6. After the tomatoes have cooled, add salt to taste.
7. Transfer everything including the cooking liquid into a container and refrigerate.
1. Salt the tomatoes after they have cooled. Salt draws out moisture so by adding salt before cooking, you'll have more liquid during roasting and the tomatoes will be exceptionally soggy when they're done.
2. I used rosemary this time but parsley, thyme, lightly crushed fennel (anise) seeds are equally splendid!