makes: 2 servings
- 1 head of kale, torn or cut into strips/pieces, thick parts of stems discarded
- 1 large (2 medium) grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds (or sesame/sunflower seeds)
1. In a large bowl make the salad dressing: mix/whisk lemon juice and zest, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Adjust seasonings to taste.
3. Add kale.
4. Massage/rub the dressing into the kale for 2 minutes or until the kale feels softer. (It will.)
5. Let the massaged kale stand for 10 minutes at room temperature.
6. Add the grapefruit sections and mix in/toss lightly.
7. Top with pumpkin seeds and fresh pepper.
1. I use curly green or red/purple kale, not lacinato/dinosaur kale.
2. I peel and section grapefruit by hand because I really enjoy doing it but you could peel the grapefruit and cut sections out with a knife.
3. Use oranges instead of grapefruit, or a mix of orange and grapefruit sections.
4. I use raw honey for everything, never processed "liquid" honey.